A healthy lifestyle blog by ACE Certified Group Exercise Trainer.

Dressing for outdoor workouts and Pearl Izumi Jacket Review

It's super important to have the right workout gear, especially when exercising outdoors. I recently bought a jacket to use on my runs and I love it! It's the Pearl Izumi Women's Select Thermal Barrier. I know weather is warming up, but now is the time to purchase a good quality jacket on sale to use next year!



Why do you need a decent jacket? It makes all the world of difference in how comfortable you are exercising in cold or windy conditions. I selected the Pearl Izumi jacket because it is lightweight, wind resistant, water resistant, and insulating. It was $120 normally, but on Amazon I got it on sale for $81. Now is the time to get online and buy a jacket for next winter because they will be on clearance!

I really notice a difference using this jacket versus a cheap-o brand (I swear!). The jacket almost seems too lightweight to keep you warm, but it is sooo insulating. It does a great job blocking the wind. It's very form fitting (to keep wind out and insulate, so if you have a bigger chest or stomach area size up).

DRESSING FOR COLD WEATHER RUNNING

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when exercising in cold weather is to dress too warmly. Hence the reason you need a very lightweight jacket (not a down ski jacket or 10 layers of turtlenecks and sweaters). Exercise generates a considerable amount of heat — enough to make you feel like it's much warmer than it really is (typically 20 degrees warmer). The evaporation of sweat, however, can make you lose heat from your body and feel chilled. The solution?
Dress in layers that you can remove as soon as you start to sweat and then put back on as needed. First, put on a thin layer of synthetic material, such as polypropylene, which draws sweat away from your body. Avoid cotton, which stays wet next to your skin.
Next, add a layer of fleece or wool for insulation. Top this with a waterproof, breathable outer layer.
For me, in cold temperatures (40 degrees and less) I run in: a sports bra, synthetic long sleeve top, and my running jacket. I usually wear running tights. I add gloves and hat if I need and warm socks. If I get hot, I take the jacket off and tie around my waist. Then I put it back on if I start running into the wind or if I start walking/cool down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment